Over the last few weeks I have been talking about showing others God’s love and kindness. But I think it can be a challenge for us to do that, if we don’t fully embrace God’s love in our own hearts. It’s ironic that many of God’s own children go through life without truly knowing how much He loves them. But it’s also completely understandable because God’s love is so great, and difficult for our human minds to grasp.
When writing about the love of God, Andrew Murray stated, “God is love. Love is His very being. Love is not an attribute, but the very essence of His nature, the centre round which all His glorious attributes gather. ”
How can we grow in this area? How can we firmly grasp His love and also extend love back to Him? There are some things we can do in our daily activities that will help.
1 – Spend time with Him. Reading the Bible, praying, and listening for God’s voice will strengthen our relationship with Him. As we spend time with Him, His love will become evident.
2 – Make gratitude and praise daily habits. These two practices will help us to focus on God’s goodness. When we see how good God is to us, then we will be able to better comprehend that He is good to us because He loves us. And when we see how good He is to us, we will overflow with love for Him in return.
3 – Don’t let the enemy win. The enemy will try to get in your head and tell you that you are not good enough for God’s love. He will tell you that your sins are too great. He will tell you that God’s love might be tangible for other people, but not for you. These are all lies. Stay strong against the enemy’s tactics.
4 – Invest in truth. Read books and find Bible verses that proclaim God’s love and goodness. Write down anything you find that speaks to you. As you keep feeding yourself truth, you will be able to push out the lies that you have believed for too long.
Here are some words of truth to get you started. Reflecting on the verses below will help you to embrace the love of God…
• For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him. ~ Psalm 103:11
• And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. ~ Romans 8:28
• Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life. ~ Psalm 143:8
• For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. ~ John 3:16
• I lift up my eyes to the mountains – where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. ~ Psalm 121:1-2
• So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them. ~ Genesis 1:27
• The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing. ~ Zephaniah 3:17
• For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. ~ Romans 8:38-39
• For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. ~ Ephesians 2:10
• The Lord appeared to us in the past, saying: “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness.” ~ Jeremiah 31:3
• See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. ~ 1 John 3:1
• And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us. ~ Romans 5:5
• Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. ~ John 15:13
• Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. ~ Lamentations 3:23
• For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. ~ Psalm 139:13-14
• But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds. ~ Psalm 73:28
• You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. ~ John 15:16
• We love because he first loved us. ~ 1 John 4:19
I pray that every day we can remember just how much we are loved by our Lord. He loves us like no other. And when we cling to His love for us, we can more freely share that love with those around us.
© 2022 Bridget A. Thomas